Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Why Organic???

People ask me why I choose organic products...I have lots of my own personal views...health benefits, reduce my exposure to gross pesticides, decrease my carbon footprint...etc. Here is a segment of "the green book" by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas M. Kostigen that discusses the benefit of organic food...

-You can lower your exposure to pesticides by 90 percent just by choosing organic varieties of certain fruits and vegetables. If just 1 percent of the nation's farmlands converted to organic (nonchemical) agriculture systems, it would remove twenty-six million pounds of pesticides per year from the food we eat and from the environment. If you buy organic, you'll encourage this type of farming.

I don't know about you...but I think pesticides are gross. Eating food with a side dish of pesticide sounds really gross! Support your local/organic farmers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment